First, the basic sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
As I said, Andrea served that as an accompaniment to roasted goose. When I made it, I had marinated chicken tenders in McCormick Grill Mates Baja Citrus marinade mix, a sort of southwestern citrus flavor. I browned the chicken in an oven proof skillet and let it bake for 20 minutes and then served it with this basic sauce. Amazing!
Now, some variations... because this sauce is SO good on its own, I didn't want to overwhelm it with a lot of other flavors. My advice is to try any ONE of the following, added when the orange juice first goes into the pan. Always taste before serving - you can add more herbs if you want, but you can't take them out!
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled - perfect on roasted pork or simply seasoned pork or lamb chops
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill - serve with grilled salmonor other meaty fish
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crumbled sage - great with roasted turkey
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dry Jamaican jerk seasoning