Fresh Cranberry Relish

Holidays bring out my Grandma's and Mom's recipes. I had to call my mom a couple of times on this one since I haven't made it in several years. It has fresh vibrant flavor and is a nice alternative to canned cranberry sauce (not that there is anything wrong with that!). When I make this at Thanksgiving, I always end up with enough for Christmas too -- luckily, it freezes very well! I also keep some out to use on English muffins or to top a plain bagel and cream cheese.

Grandma (and sometimes Mom) made this using an old hand-cranked food grinder that clamped to the side of the kitchen table. Thanks to the food processor, I get to make this with far less time and effort than it took Grandma, but I still get the same great results!

To make a bunch (seriously, a lot):
  • 1 bag fresh cranberries
  • 3 navel oranges
  • 6 tart apples - Granny Smith, Gala or MacIntosh - don't use Delicious apples
  • 3/4 cup sugar or more to taste
  • splash red food coloring, optional

Rinse cranberries and pick through them for any that are soft; discard those. Place the rest in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Put into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

Wash the apples and cut into quarters. Do not peel. Pare the seeds and core out of the apples; put into the bowl of the food processor, and again, pulse until coarsely chopped. Add to cranberries.

Wash the oranges and quarter. Once again, put quarters in the food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped, peels and all. Remove any really large pieces of peel. Add to cranberries and apples. Stir to combine.

Sprinkle with sugar, mix again and let set several hours or overnight. Taste for sweetness before serving. If desired, add red food coloring. For the picture here, I didn't add the coloring for two reasons: 1. you can better see how the fruits combine, and 2. Publix was out of red food coloring!

Great with turkey, roast pork, roasted chicken and more.

Comments